SCALE14x: Debian Booth and UbuCon Summit in Pasadena

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at princessleia.com
Wed Jan 6 12:08:56 PST 2016

Hi everyone,

Back in November, Michael Paoli forwarded along[0] a request for
volunteers for the Debian booth at the upcoming Southern California
Linux Expo (SCALE)[1] happening down in Pasadena, California. SCALE is
in a whole new venue this year to make more room for this event as it
keeps growing. While it's obviously not near to the bay area, it is
the only major open source conference that happens every year here in
California and it's a lot of fun.

It's coming up quickly, January 21-24th

They have a great list of speakers[2], including keynotes from Cory
Doctorow and Sarah Sharp. They have also continued their four day
format, so the event lasts from Thursday through Sunday.

Since I know there's some overlap with Debian folks who also use
Ubuntu on this list, I wanted to let you know that personally, I've
been working with the organizers of a big Ubuntu event being hosting
called the UbuCon Summit[3]. It is a two day event, co-hosted with
SCALE on Jan. 21 and 22 (Thursday and Friday). There will be some
great talks, including Mark Shuttleworth as an opening keynote and
talks from leaders from the Ubuntu community[4]. We will also have an
Ubuntu booth for the 3 days that the SCALE expo hall is open (Friday -
Sunday), where we will be showing off the new Ubuntu phones, and
Ubuntu Orange Box and hopefully some Internet of Thing (IoT) devices.

The UbuCon Summit is a FREE event that is open to anybody, but they do
ask that you register[5] first so that we know how many attendees to
expect.

Registration for SCALE is also encouraged so you can visit the Debian
booth, the Ubuntu booth and attend talks at the main SCALE conference
all weekend. You can get a code for half off the $85 registration on
the UbuCon Summit registration page[5].

Hope you can make it!

[0] http://bad.debian.net/pipermail/bad/2015-November/003701.html
[1] https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/14x/