Will Debian have a booth at linuxworldexpo? A BoF?

Tony Godshall togo@of.net
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 05:57:23 -0500

According to Nick Moffitt,
> begin  muggles  quotation:
> > are there any particular criteria for a BoF meeting place?
> > like a dive bar in crack town within walking distance
> > of Moscone?
>
> 	Here's my recommendation for a scenic meeting point: the
> sundial on the roof of the Wells Fargo on Montgomery and Post.  It's
> right by the Post Plaza exit of the Montgomery Street BART/Muni Metro
> station, it's shielded from the Montgomery Street wind canyon by
> virtue of being within the city block, and it has a rather pleasant
> garden atop it.
>
> 	You get in by popping into the Crocker Galleria and riding the
> escalators up to the top floor.  There is a doorway in the middle of
> the top floor (not the corner one!  that's a different garden!) that
> leads up to the rooftop.
>
> 	There's a birdbath on one side, and on the other side is a
> strange spherical wireframe sundial with an arrow for the shadow-arm.
> It's rarely hit with direct sunlight, so it's all but useless for its
> functional purpose.  It's pretty, though, and in a very scenic spot
> for downtown SF.
>
> 	http://maps.yahoo.com/maps.py?addr=montgomery+at+post&csz=sf,ca
>
> 	Note that on that map, you can see the spot where Moscone
> Center's entrances are, on Howard St. between 3rd and 4th Ave.
>
> 	Post Plaza has a nice bakery called Specialty's, with a
> dumwaiter-fed kiosk at street level.  I recommend the oatmeal wheat
> germ chocolate chip cookies, especially if they're warm.  The rooftop
> garden is a favorite lunch spot for many people working in the
> surrounding buildings.
>
> 	I'll be giving a tutorial on Autoconf on Monday, so I'll
> definitely be at LWE!

I'll second Nick's suggestion- the best yet, imho.

In addition to the BOF Ross mentioned, it'd be nice to have
a more informal gathering (the BOF has an HP CTO listed as
speaker, so it might be a bit corporate).

The BOF link reit'd: