Will Debian have a booth at linuxworldexpo? A BoF?

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:58:12 -0700

begin  muggles  quotation:
> are there any particular criteria for a BoF meeting place?
> like a dive bar in crack town within walking distance
> of Moscone?

	Here's my recommendation for a scenic meeting point: the
sundial on the roof of the Wells Fargo on Montgomery and Post.  It's
right by the Post Plaza exit of the Montgomery Street BART/Muni Metro
station, it's shielded from the Montgomery Street wind canyon by
virtue of being within the city block, and it has a rather pleasant
garden atop it.

	You get in by popping into the Crocker Galleria and riding the
escalators up to the top floor.  There is a doorway in the middle of
the top floor (not the corner one!  that's a different garden!) that
leads up to the rooftop.

	There's a birdbath on one side, and on the other side is a
strange spherical wireframe sundial with an arrow for the shadow-arm.
It's rarely hit with direct sunlight, so it's all but useless for its
functional purpose.  It's pretty, though, and in a very scenic spot
for downtown SF.

	http://maps.yahoo.com/maps.py?addr=montgomery+at+post&csz=sf,ca

	Note that on that map, you can see the spot where Moscone
Center's entrances are, on Howard St. between 3rd and 4th Ave.

	Post Plaza has a nice bakery called Specialty's, with a
dumwaiter-fed kiosk at street level.  I recommend the oatmeal wheat
germ chocolate chip cookies, especially if they're warm.  The rooftop
garden is a favorite lunch spot for many people working in the
surrounding buildings.

	I'll be giving a tutorial on Autoconf on Monday, so I'll
definitely be at LWE!

	I'll also give my $7 tour of San Francisco rail transit
history if anyone is interested (provided I haven't shouted myself
hoarse at the Autotools lecture :).

--

end