Xen --> qemu-kvm (& Debian 5.0 "lenny" to Debian 6.0 "squeeze")

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 17 13:32:58 PST 2013

This, notably the Xen --> qemu-kvm conversion and documentation
thereof, was asked about a bit at the 2013-02-13 BAD meeting.  And I'd
mentioned that I'd quite documented it.  Specifically, in/for earlier
case involving (in short):
2 Xen domUs and i386 dom0 host all running Debian 5.0 "lenny",
being converted to:
2 qemu-kvm VMs and same physical host all running Debian 6.0 "squeeze",
and additionally with the host going from i386 to amd64 Debian.

The Xen --> qemu-kvm bit is most specifically documented here:
http://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=system:vicki_debian_lenny_to_squeeze#xen_--_qemu-kvm_specific_example_sflug
and the whole overall project more generally on that wiki page:
http://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=system:vicki_debian_lenny_to_squeeze

I rather surprise myself looking back how thoroughly I documented it
:-), but there were multiple objectives in that, not only documenting
it for myself, but with multiple person(s)/interest(s) involved and/or
having a stake in it, aiming for something approximating consensus, and
sufficiently well documenting what was intended, (generally) agreed
upon, and what was to be done and what was done, and why.  And
additionally, to reasonably well document it as a
"teaching"/educational tool/reference.

I also did a fair bit of "dry run" exercise(s) with at least parts of
the conversion(s)/upgrades, so that probably also covers a fair bit of
how accurately detailed even the "planning" was.  And I think also
there was some "along the way" and "after the fact" updating, to round
things out.  There was also earlier passing reference[1] on BAD list to
that documentation - or earlier version thereof.

references/excerpts:
http://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=system:vicki_debian_lenny_to_squeeze
1. http://bad.debian.net/list/2012-March/003485.html