(SO!) BAD perceptual emphasis on Ubuntu ...

GoOSSBears acohen36 at linuxwaves.com
Thu Apr 26 10:06:01 PDT 2012

Mini-Soapbox (or a response to such)

--- Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu wrote:
> It's a Debian group, not a Debian/Ubuntu or Ubuntu group.

OTOH, there might be one or more persons other than myself who sense that there IS a notable emphasis on Ubuntu within this "Debian" GNU/Linux group. Thus, I propose, for reasons I already pointed out, that the group name be changed to possibly something like the Bay Area Ubuntu/Debian group, BAUD.
(as a partially-related aside, I understand that there is some controversy regarding Canonical's limiting the use of "Linux" when describing its Ubuntu).

> May - it's a BAD meeting - it's "far enough away" that it's unlikely
> any UDS folks will be at the BAD meeting *unless* they happen to also
> be interested in attending a BAD meeting (and "close enough" so
> attending both is quite feasible).

> Perhaps some might think/believe/presume there's some kind of
> "emphasis" on Ubuntu", but I don't see it or consider it to be such.

OTOH, I think/believe/presume that having the May BA"D" meeting so conspicuously close to UDS was deliberately planned in order to SPECIFICALLY interject Ubuntu mindshare -- if not the presence of actual Ubuntu promoters/devs attending from UDS -- into discussion of Debian GNU/Linux. Indeed, I may be one of the very few, if not the only one, who finds it difficult to imagine how any Debian-derived distros OTHER THAN Ubuntu can be effectively discussed/emphasized at this BA"D" meeting held so "close enough" to UDS (e.g., the Debian-derived Linux distros Linux Mint, Bodhi Linux, Crunchbang Linux ... etc.)

> And if/when Crunchbang Linux, Bodhi Linux, or Linux Mint, etc. has a
> major (or perhaps even not-so-major) event in the Bay Area on the 2nd
> Wednesday of the month where such is feasible for BAD meeting to also
> be close and (mostly) non-conflicting, again, I and/or others might
> call BAD meeting to facilitate interested folks being able to feasibly
> attend both.

Excellent.
And will definitely have/keep it in mind to call my OWN BA"D" meeting(s) - as per shotgun rules such as this - sometime near the middle of Ubuntu's 6-month release cycle, i.e., between April xx.04 and November xx.11 ;->

Just expressing my own opinions and suggestion here.
Obviously, Michael.Paoli strenuously disagrees with "much" of this... so be it :-)

Best of success for BA"D" people, such as possibly Michael.Paoli, who are actively participating in tonight's Precise Release Party at the Thirsty Bear Brewing Co in SF.
-A

--
Go Open Source Software (non-Thirsty) Bears! ;-)