(NOT!) BAD perceptual emphasis on ...

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Sun Apr 29 21:28:30 PDT 2012

>> > With the Bay Area Debian group's perceptual emphasis on Ubuntu -- as
>>
>> <soapbox>
>> It's a Debian group, not a Debian/Ubuntu or Ubuntu group.
>> So there may happen to be some overlap, maybe even some synergy, ... so
>> what, Ubuntu is a "large" / "major" distribution, and it's based upon
>> Debian.  And, as you also point out, there certainly are many other
>> distributions based upon Debian.  As matter of fact, there are more
>> Linux distributions based upon Debian than upon any other distribution,
>> so not surprising that one or more of them may be relatively "large",
>> "major", and/or popular/common, and that there might even be some
>> synergy(/ies) there.  And, while there certainly may be some overlap,
>> there are certainly a whole lot of us, that much prefer Debian :-)

Indeed Debian eschews change for change sake so
as many people who get started with Ubuntu or the
next icing of the week get disenfranchised by some
all-must-follow change or another (this time it's Unity,
last time it was Gnome, or whatever) I suspect more
will flow downhill to the Grand Unified Distribution where
everything from the most bleeding edge eye-candy
to the text console, from the highest performance to
the most lowly embedded system are tolerated and
indeed invited to participate.

..

>> And if/when Crunchbang Linux, Bodhi Linux, or Linux Mint, etc. has a
>> major (or perhaps even not-so-major) event in the Bay Area on the 2nd
>> Wednesday of the month where such is feasible for BAD meeting to also
>> be close and (mostly) non-conflicting, again, I and/or others might
>> call BAD meeting to facilitate interested folks being able to feasibly
>> attend both.

+1

> Michael, thank you for scheduling this meeting of BAD per the shotgun
> rules.

+1

> Thank you also for being unnecessarily nice to GoOSSBears; he/she seems new
> to the inclusive, universal spirit of Debian's universal operating system,
> and moreover unaware of Bay Area Debian's shotgun rules.

+1

> I'm deeply appreciative of all the work that Bay Area folks have done to
> promote Debian. It's a joy to see that promotion and discussion of Debian
> continue.

+1