Fwd: Re: Resend X 2: Hosting meal at Henry's Hunan Restaurant?

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Wed Aug 1 20:08:26 PDT 2007

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Michael Paoli wrote:

> 25 BADdies is fine with me.  My concern is dozens of people showing
> up just for free food who don't give a hoot about Debian, System
> Administration and/or IT monitoring.

You do yourself an injustice by offering free food. Quite honestly I
can afford to buy my own dinner at most of the resuraunts in the city,
and go to these events to network with other people with similar
interests.

The bad meetings I have attended in the past didn't offer free food,
and it certainly didn't stop folks from showing up.

This is no different than taking sponsorship to provide refreshments
at a user group meetings, in return of mentioning the sponsor's name
in a newsletter and/or website. I run a user group and don't accept
any donations, although drinks are provided, I don't use them as a
leader and could care less if we didn't have them at my meetings.

> How about this: the first 25 BAD-associated people you provide names
> for get free dinner, after that, and for others who show up at the
> door, it's $15 (see below.)  Jennifer and I will work out something
> similar for BayLISA and the BayLISA monitoring SIG.

In looking at this, it seems there's some politics going on with free
food and/or who gets it. I think I'll just pass this time around and
consider one of the bad meetings that comes up in the future, where
those issues just don't exist, and people get together to discuss
Debian.

Thanks for your replies.

--

Alan DuBoff - Software Orchestration