Fwd: Re: Resend X 2: Hosting meal at Henry's Hunan Restaurant?

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 1 18:43:14 PDT 2007

Forwarding, since only list members can post to the list.

----- Forwarded message from Peter Mui <pmui at groundworkopensource.com> -----
    Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:25:24 -0700
    From: Peter Mui <pmui at groundworkopensource.com>
 Subject: Re: Resend X 2: Hosting meal at Henry's Hunan Restaurant?
      To: Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu>

Hi Michael (and cc: BAD list and Jennifer):

According to Henry's: a decision and final head count must be
provided to them today (Wednesday, August 1) so they can prepare, so
we need to reach consensus fast.

On Jul 31, 2007, at 10:09 PM, Michael Paoli wrote:

> Sorry I didn't get back to you a bit sooner.
>
> Yes, ... sounds like a pretty reasonable plan.
>
> My estimate/guestimate of BADies at Henry's (and with circumstances
> similar to last time with LinuxWorld Expo) of 25, however, isn't
> with dinner being provided for free.
>
> Free dinner may increase the turnout - perhaps fairly significantly.
> Also, ... wouldn't be particularly "fair" to have monitoring SIG
> and/or
> BayLISA invite (more-or-less) "all comers" for free right next to BAD
> and not cover BAD for free (or close to it, at least).

Agreed.  Our plan (Jennifer's and mine) was that our invitations were
going to go to our respective memberships only (BayLISA and the
BayLISA Monitoring SIG.)  A few extra people is OK but the hope would
be that it be a limited subset of the total attendance.

> I'd guestimate, with all the goings on at/around LinuxWorld Expo,
> even "free" dinner wouldn't swell the total crowd beyond Henry's
> dining capacity (with suitable notice so they can staff for it).

Yes, so it is imperative we limit 1) who knows about it and 2) who
can attend.

> I'd also guestimate even with an offer of free dinner to all
> BADies - and with similar promotion of it at LinuxWorld Expo (even
> mentioning it's free) would still probably less than double the
> total turnout of BAD folks.  By exactly how much it would "swell" the
> attendance I could only guess ... but I might think somewhere in the
> range of 25 to 35 "BAD" folks?

25 BADdies is fine with me.  My concern is dozens of people showing
up just for free food who don't give a hoot about Debian, System
Administration and/or IT monitoring.

> We might draw a fair number of "extra"
> folks from LinuxWorld Expo - particularly if dinner is and is
> mentioned
> as free - but again, there are competing events, it's not *right* next
> to LinuxWorld (though pretty conveniently close), it's after the BoF
> sessions, not right after the Exhibition hall closes for the day,
> etc.,
> etc.

We need to limit the number of "extra" attendees then.  We will not
do wide-scale promotion of this event at LinuxWorld, and ask that
(you and) BAD don't do this either.

> Perhaps you and/or Jennifer can whip up an RSVP system, and
> "guarantee" the
> first N number of people (associated with whichever group, and up to
> such-and-such date/time) to RSVP are "guaranteed" a spot for free
> dinner
> ... might work well to at least use the actual RSVPs to guestimate/
> estimate
> total turnout.  We could also guestimate how many "extra" folks we'd
> pull in from LinuxWorld.  At LinuxWorld Expo - could also give out
> separate "coupons"/"tickets" for free dinner - that would also provide
> some type of estimate (not all folks picking such up would show up to
> "redeem" then, ... but the number actually picked up might also
> provide
> another useful data point for estimating likely turnout).

How about this: the first 25 BAD-associated people you provide names
for get free dinner, after that, and for others who show up at the
door, it's $15 (see below.)  Jennifer and I will work out something
similar for BayLISA and the BayLISA monitoring SIG.

> Let me/us know your thoughts, ... but sounds like it could work quite
> well for all.  Also, if this goes on a BayLISA and/or Monitoring SIG
> list that's publicly archived, let me/us know so I can get the
> relevant
> URL(s) on the BAD list, so folks can cross-check planning
> and discussion and such if/as applicable.

(Jennifer, can you handle this part?  The Monitoring SIG does not
have a discussion archive.)

> I'd guestimate BAD folks wouldn't mind dinner being free.  I
> suppose if
> any of them object to that part of it, they could always pay for their
> dinner if they feel so inclined.

Yup, it's a free country (smile.)

> Also, "banquet"? ... actually, Henry's handles quite a large lunch
> crowd
> on a weekdaily basis.  Probably don't need to do anything all that
> different
> than their regular handling of food orders - especially if the
> "meeting" will
> run 90 minutes or more (they generally turn tables over in under 60
> minutes
> at lunch time - and that's with the place being packed).  With
> "larger"
> bunches of folks there for lunch or dinner (from half a dozen up to
> at least
> 24 or so ... probably scales fairly well past that), generally have
> folks
> order about one entree per person - plus some moderate mix of rice,
> soup, and appetizers (e.g. a large rice and a large soup per round
> table
> of about 8 people, and an order or two of appetizers) ... that
> works out
> to be about the right amount of food for lunch or dinner.  Can always
> order a bit more if food seems to be running short.  Also, the way the
> tables work out, and things are easy to share around a table, if
> everyone
> orders a dish they're interested in at their table, and want to
> share and
> try other stuff too, everyone gets a pretty good interesting mix of
> stuff
> to try (and if they don't want to share, they just snag the dish
> they ordered
> when it arrives, and help themselves first - taking all of it if
> they want).
> Anyway, that type of "scheme" would probably work well all the way
> up to
> their max. dinning capacity.  Might just negotiate some volume rate
> (maybe get a bit of a discount off the list menu prices for over X
> number
> of people or $$ at list price, and a prenegotiated gratuity %, and
> payment terms (their might be a discount for cash at those volumes).
> Anyway, ... just some thoughts (hopefully at least some of them are
> useful :-)) ... can also guestimate worst case costs based on number
> of people.  I think with tax and tip something around $15.00 per head
> is pretty typical, ... should be fairly well under $20.00 per head,
> anyway.
> Perhaps someone from BAD remembers what the $$ worked out to per
> person
> last time (I don't think the menu has changed much - if at all
> since then).

Henry's says they would charge $15/person for two choices of
appetizers, six choices of main courses (three veggie, all no MSG),
rice, hot tea.  Note that this does NOT include drinks: they charge
$1.25 sodas, $3.25 bottled beer, and $4.50 for beer on tap.

They said would put the food out buffet-table style, so people could
mingle and not be limited to sitting in one place.

In any case, we need closure on this today. -Peter

Peter Mui, Manager, Open Source Strategy and Community
GROUNDWORK Open Source, Inc.
139 Townsend Street, Suite 100
San Francisco, CA 94107-1946
+1 415 992 4573 (direct)