pre-... discussion- August meeting(s)

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Thu Jul 27 10:50:09 PDT 2006

> > Second week falls the week before LinuxWorld this year.  So should we
> > have a usual meeting plus a special one during LW?

> The shotgun rules[3] dictate the days upon which the B.A.D. meetings
> occur.  That doesn't necessarily mean there can't also be other
> meetings/events/gatherings other days, but folks may be much more
> expecting (and have marked on their calendars, etc.) "the" B.A.D.
> meeting to be on the day specified per the shotgun rules[3].
> Well, BALUG[1] has a meeting the week of LinuxWorld, so might want
> to join up with that.  It is in San Francisco, and a reasonable walk
> (a bit of a stroll) from LinuxWorld.

Yes, definitely a good meeting to go to.  They typ. have actual
planned presentations and stuff, complete with overhead projectors and
corporate presenters.  It's on Tuesday, so we can still have
Wednesday.

> Oakland Perl Mongers[2] will also be doing a meetup that same day at
> LinuxWorld.

They are meeting at LW in the afternoon and wandering.  Not a conflict at all.

> > PS- I'm working in SE San Jose these days, so I'm not likely to be
> > making it to any meetings unless I start pulling some of them further
> > South, e.g. Mountain View.  If South Bay folks or former SB folks
> > could suggest a good venue in the vicinity of MV LRT/MV Caltrain, I'll
> > put out an ANNOUNCE and we'll see what happens.

I got an off-list tip that Tied House on Villa in Mountain View[5] is
a good venue and it's certainly near Caltrain[6] and Light Rail [7].

But I'm going to decline to ANNOUNCE the regular BAD Meeting South for
August- I'm skip the August meeting to check out the C/C++ group that
meets in SJ.  Probably see some of you guys at LW.  I'm probably just
going for the one day- will have to look for the one with the most
interesting BOF sessions or conjuction with an evening event.

> Maybe Debian could do an informal meet-up or event, perhaps even between
> the Oakland Perl Mongers and BALUG events, or perhaps a BoF
> session/event - if schedules and such line up with that same day ...
> or a keysigning (perhaps in conjunction with EFF).

> Could always call it a different meeting/event, to reduce possible
> confusion with official B.A.D. meeting day and such - e.g.
> "Debian LinuxWorld ..." meet-up, or event, or meeting, or what have you.
> Perhaps also coordinate and/or at least Cc: the debian-events-na list.

That makes sense.

It was really good to have the meetup last year after the BOF with
Bdale.  But I'm not going to announce it yet- my attendence is just in
pencil at this point.  But if I were to do so, I'd make it a Debian
event, with keysigning, and EFF invited too.  Does that jive?

> Anyway, ... just some thoughts.

And good ones.

> Not sure about other locations, but B.A.D (and related?) meeting(s) have
> been at least occasionally at Jing Jing in Palo Alto[4].  That's pretty
> accessible to CalTrain, etc.

Light Rail doesn't go to PA, so MV's a better location from my point
of view.  But it is further from SF/Berk/Oak.

> Oh, I also dropped ANNOUNCE from the Subject: - as I'd guestimate the
> intent of its use in the shotgun rules is folks probably want to be
> able to filter for ANNOUNCE to find out about meeting announcements, while
> perhaps passing on discussion thereof and perhaps other stuff (or maybe
> just sort them into different queues, or whatever).

Technically, it's supposed to be ANNOUNCEMENT.  But we've been lax.

Tony Godshall (g)

5. http://tinyurl.com/eg6a7
6. http://tinyurl.com/gmev2
7. http://tinyurl.com/gqpsm