pre-... discussion- August meeting(s)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 26 23:44:24 PDT 2006

Well, BALUG[1] has a meeting the week of LinuxWorld, so might want
to join up with that.  It is in San Francisco, and a reasonable walk
(a bit of a stroll) from LinuxWorld.

Oakland Perl Mongers[2] will also be doing a meetup that same day at
LinuxWorld.

Maybe Debian could do an informal meet-up or event, perhaps even between
the Oakland Perl Mongers and BALUG events, or perhaps a BoF
session/event - if schedules and such line up with that same day ...
or a keysigning (perhaps in conjunction with EFF).

Could always call it a different meeting/event, to reduce possible
confusion with official B.A.D. meeting day and such - e.g.
"Debian LinuxWorld ..." meet-up, or event, or meeting, or what have you.
Perhaps also coordinate and/or at least Cc: the debian-events-na list.

Anyway, ... just some thoughts.

The shotgun rules[3] dictate the days upon which the B.A.D. meetings
occur.  That doesn't necessarily mean there can't also be other
meetings/events/gatherings other days, but folks may be much more
expecting (and have marked on their calendars, etc.) "the" B.A.D.
meeting to be on the day specified per the shotgun rules[3].

Not sure about other locations, but B.A.D (and related?) meeting(s) have
been at least occasionally at Jing Jing in Palo Alto[4].  That's pretty
accessible to CalTrain, etc.

Oh, I also dropped ANNOUNCE from the Subject: - as I'd guestimate the
intent of its use in the shotgun rules is folks probably want to be
able to filter for ANNOUNCE to find out about meeting announcements, while
perhaps passing on discussion thereof and perhaps other stuff (or maybe
just sort them into different queues, or whatever).

references/excerpts/footnotes:

1. http://www.balug.org/
2. http://www.metaart.org/opug/
3. http://bad.debian.net/shotgun_rules.txt