R40 wireless

Ian Zimmerman itz@buug.org
23 Apr 2005 00:38:48 -0700

Ian> I have an R40.  Hotplug thinks it sees an airo chip, but the airo
Ian> module doesn't work.  Neither does the ipw2* module that I
Ian> installed based on reports like this one:

Claude> I very well may be mistaken but I don't think that IBM ships
Claude> Cisco Aironet cards.  So, that's the first thing that you'll
Claude> want to confirm.  What does lspci report?

lspci reports aironet; that's basically how hotplug gets its information.

Claude> Best information comes from IBM's website.  Put in your type and
Claude> model and it should show exactly what the machine shipped with:

Well, my notebook is "after-market" (ie. from craigslist :) I don't have
the original dead trees for it.  Can I get the information I need here
from the pre-boot software, or is it maybe stamped on it?  I don't have
it with me ATM, sorry for the silly questions.

Claude> At least for the T-series, IBM ships a few different wireless
Claude> cards including both an Atheros (supported by the madwifi) and
Claude> an Intel (for "Centrino" branding).

Yes, these reports saying it's an ipw2100 mostly refer to "Centrino
chipset" or something like that.  But my machine didn't have the
Centrino sticker on it, that makes me think it's different even if it's
the same model.

--
Optimist: We're only two weeks behind schedule.
Pessimist: The schedule is a whole two weeks ahead of us.