R40 wireless [was: Re: tracking a specific deb]

Claude Rubinson rubinson@u.arizona.edu
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:43:03 -0700

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 08:14:15PM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> I have an R40.  Hotplug thinks it sees an airo chip, but the airo
> module doesn't work.  Neither does the ipw2* module that I installed
> based on reports like this one:

I very well may be mistaken but I don't think that IBM ships Cisco
Aironet cards.  So, that's the first thing that you'll want to
confirm.  What does lspci report?

I do happen to have a Cisco 350 card; but it's after-market.  If it is
an airo chip that you have, that seems really odd.  Mine just works
using the airo_cs driver.

I love my T40, but one of the problems with IBM is that they ship tons
of different configurations.  So I wouldn't rely on anyone else's
HOWTO to accurately describe your machine.  (I've probably read a few
dozen T40 HOWTOs and I don't think that I've ever come across one that
precisely matches my configuration.)  Best information comes from
IBM's website.  Put in your type and model and it should show exactly
what the machine shipped with:
http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=%2Fproductselection%2Flandingpages%2FbrowseByProductLandingPage.vm&sitestyle=ibm&brandind=10&validate=true

At least for the T-series, IBM ships a few different wireless cards
including both an Atheros (supported by the madwifi) and an Intel (for
"Centrino" branding).  A number of people are using the proprietary
Linuxant wrapper to support the Intel card.  I'm not sure how stable
either of these solutions are; it seems that a number of people have
replaced their cards with Cisco 350s.

Claude