How do I get the latest gaim (0.7) in Sid?

Hereon hereon2003@yahoo.com
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 22:52:01 -0700 (PDT)

--- Tim Freeman <tim@fungible.com> wrote:
> From: Hereon <hereon2003@yahoo.com>
> >When, as root, i do apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; it lists gaim as a
> >package held back.
> >When I run dselect, it shows the latest available version of gaim as
> 0.68-1.
>
> When I get held back packages, I say something like
>
>    apt-get install gaim
>
> and it tells me why it's held back, or sometimes it feels that
> it has the authority to go ahead and solve the problem for me by
> installing some other packages and then upgrade the one I asked for.
>
> The other requirement, of course, is that you say something like this
> in /etc/apt/preferences:
>
>    Package: gaim
>    Pin: release a=unstable
>    Pin-Priority: 1500
>
> (except don't have any leading whitespace).

1) Thanks, this worked exactly as you said.  It installed gaim 0.70.  :)

2) Aside: Unfortunately, even though I verified it is indeed .70 that is
running, I still can't log into YM (although I still _can_ login to AIM)).

3) After apt-get installed it, I ran dselect, and it now shows the avail
version as 0.70, rather than the older (0.68) version that showed just before
I did the apt-get install.

That is strange.  Anyone know why dselect wouldn't correctly show the actual
version available until _after_ I did the apt-get install?

(Note: I didn't do "update" _within_ dselect.  I was assuming it used the
results of the apt-get update I'd just done before starting dselect.)

(I'm wondering if I've got something misconfigured, which would have caused
that, or is this a bug?)  (I'm 99% sure that I have a Sid with no
modifications done to any dselect related files, just a plain vanilla Sid
install.)

4) Why did I need the preferences file telling it to prefer unstable, if I'm
merely running a plain Sid (ie unstable) system?

5) Why did my original apt-get upgrade fail to assert that it would upgrade
gaim, saying instead that gaim would be held back?  Is this likely a bug
someplace?  (& thus it might be a good idea to submit a bug report on it?)

Thanks :)