Announcement- BAD meeting 031112 This next Wed 6-9+PM, SBAY, Real & 1st Virtual

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 23:43:58 -0800

Quoting Hereon (hereon1@fastmail.us):

> Is the free access just near the outdoor tables?  Or, is there be free
> access in, say, the restaurants?  Did you try any other connections, like
> ssh or IRC?

I was there a few months ago for the BayLISA Board of Directors monthly
meeting, and Heather Stern was there with her (ObTopicality:) Debian
laptop.  I had only my PalmPilot and keyboard, so no wireless for me,
that evening.

Heather had no problem connecting to totally free-of-charge,
unrestricted, non-TMobile-based wireless service from her Linux laptop.
We were at the outdoor tables, which is where the signs are indicating
public wireless access.  I have no idea what the range is.  Probably,
your own experience reflects having accidentally connected to the wrong
WAP (unless of course Santana Row has changed policies very recently).

--
Cheers,                             * Contributing Editor, Linux Gazette *
Rick Moen                       -*- See the Linux Gazette in its new home: -*-