Berkeley get-together (BAD + BUUG)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 13:43:24 -0800

[Crosspost eliminated.]

Quoting Robin Rowe (rower@movieeditor.com):

> I propose that we Debian Linux users have our East Bay BAD
> get-together at Au Coquelet on Thursday at 7pm.

I propose that Mike Markley put something on the Web page.  Actually, of
course, there _is_ something, but it could be use more January details:
http://bad.debian.net/ claims, as it has for some time, that BAD "has
get-togethers on the second Wednesday of each month".  For January,
that would be Wednesday the 9th.

New prospective attendees, looking around for interesting technical
events to attend, will probably most often encounter and heed
information on the relevant Web site(s) -- sometimes via Google and the
like.  At least two, and probably more, Web sites have been leading such
people to expect 2nd Wednesday meetings somewhere
(http://bad.debian.net/ and http://linuxmafia.com/bale/).  We can hope
that they re-check the Web page periodically, as the indicated date
approaches, looking for details.

In light of that, a Web listing of the event, saying when/where/what,
preferably with a map and directions, is useful iff it's at least some
reasonable number of days early.

Deciding on a different day with one day's (or less) notice, with or
without a Web-page listing for that <1 day-off event, pretty much shoots
in the foot any effort to publicise the event.

I'd suggest that posting an event description on the Web site with a
_week's_ notice is tolerable if suboptimal.  I.e., for an Au Coquelet
meeting on the previously announced Wednesday, Jan. 9 date at (say) 7:30
PM.

Maybe BUUG would like to set up a joint meeting on a future 2nd Wedneday
with something better than one day's notice?

All of the above is, to quote Sir Dennis of Miller, just my opinion:  I
could be wrong.  But BALE will continue to reflect whatever
http://bad.debian.net/ says.  And http://bad.debian.net/ currently says
(in effect) Wednesday the 9th.