libhttp

Alan DuBoff Alan DuBoff <aland@SoftOrchestra.com>
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:43:30 -0700

Hi folks,

I was recentely hacking together a shared library that could be used in c/c++
applications to do http transfers, similar to how wget works (for those that
have used it).

I tried to make this library pretty simple to use, and wanted something that
would pass an allocated pointer to the data back to the caller. I then
modified the GET call to support POST as well as HEAD, and may make some minor
changes to it. Each of those calls has a wrapper program called hget, hpost,
and hhead respectively to show how to use the library.

If any of you have a need for a library such as this, or would like to comment
on the code, you can get it from my website at:

http://www.SoftOrchestra.com/downloads/libhttp-0.1.tar.gz

The original code was written by a gent back in Finland named Sami Tikka and
is included in the distribution (httpget.c).

Please pass along any comments you may have and/or if there is something you
would like to see specific.

I setup the package as a distribution and it should "configure", "make", and
"make install" on just about every flavor of UNIX/Linux, including all
supported targets for the cross compiler. I've tested it with native Linux,
cross compiled Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris SPARC/x86, and even <gasp> Cygwin at a
client of mine).

This code certainly runs on Debian, as it was developed on Debian...I am
having a problem with the autoconf/automake/libtool code since upgrading my
development system to woody, so if you have an idea what broke on that stuff
in the past couple weeks, hollar!<g> The tarball on my website should work
fine though, it's modifying new code that seems to have broken with the latest
tools.

I had originally intended it be used for embedded work, where space is
limited, but this code will work on just about all versions of UNIX/Linux
around.

I'm trying to write an article to be published describing and showing how to
use it, and if anyone has any comments or suggestions for that effort, please
let me know.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.