Proposal: Nov BAD meeting should move to ALS 11/8 6PM

tluxt tluxt@yahoo.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 21:19:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I think this is an excellent idea. :)

I volunteered to confirm a location for the Nov meeting in Berkeley.
But, the more I learned, the more I thought meeting in conjunction with
the Debian folks at ALS is a much better idea.

The Annual Linux Showcase, http://www.linuxshowcase.org , 11/5-10, at
the Oakland Marriott City Center, is now FREE for all technical
discussion talks (i.e., for everything but the tutorials, since the
exhibits were already free.).

Debian is scheduled to have a booth there.  There is time available for
BOFs in the evening.  I think it would be great to have a Debian BOF,
and move the BAD meeting from the 2nd Wednesday to that BOF.  This
would likely be a much larger & more eventful meeting than just the Bay
Area gathering.  Also, having BAD merely a week after ALS seems to me
like too many linux events too close together.  It would be spreading
things too thin, IMHO.

I think it would be good to have the meeting no sooner than after the
end of the first day's exhibits, so the Debian folks have a chance to
meet at the booth, and also tell other attendees.

Check out:
http://www.linuxshowcase.org/bofschedule.html
http://www.linuxshowcase.org/ataglance.html
http://www.linuxshowcase.org/tech.html  (the talks schedule)
http://www.linuxshowcase.org/current_list.html (exhibits)

I discussed this idea with one Oct BAD member and one other Debian
user, and they thought this was a good idea.

I also discussed the idea of moving SVLUG from SJ to ALS for November
with an SVLUG coordinator & also a past SVLUG President. They thought
that might be a good idea, and suggested I email the SVLUG list with
the suggestion, which I am about to do.  SVLUG being larger than BAD, I
believe that if SVLUG does move their meeting location, they should
keep the normal SVLUG meeting day, 11/7. Wednesday.  Since I don't
think it's a good idea to hold the Debian BOF at the same time as the
SVLUG meeting, that would suggest THURS, FRI or SAT for the Debian BOF.

There are Linux & X.org BOF's at 8P on Thursday, and a GNU BOF at 9P on
Friday:
I propose the Debian BOF be Thurs eve, 11/8, 6-8 PM.
Perhaps it could be a dinner meeting, somehow.

I don't know how much discussion this needs.  I propose that, if there
aren't a large % of BAD members who object to this, that we accept 11/8
as the actual Nov BAD meeting date by three days from now, 11/22, so
there is time to update the BAD www page with this info.
http://bad.debian.net/

I think it will also be a good idea to announce this on some Debian
lists, but I currently don't know which. (If anyone has any
suggestions, please let me know!) I'll try to do that by this comming
Monday.

Also, the BOF time needs to be OK'd by someone from ALS.  Once again, I
don't know who to contact yet, any suggestions are appreciated.  (I
have talked on the phone to the USENIX folks in Berkeley to confirm the
talks are actually free, so I just might phone them Monday to request
this time for the Debian BOF.)

If this all gets confirmed, I'll email BALE, SVLUG & BALUG with this
info, so that people there interested in Debian have an opportunity to
fit this into their schedules.  Any other list suggestions?

Everyone: please email this list in support of this idea if you think
it is a good one, so we can quickly get a consensus that we should go
forward with this idea.  :)

Thanks.  :)