Wanted: Volunteer sys/net designer to direct setup of server

tluxt tluxt@yahoo.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 01:45:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,

If you are a knowledgeable Linux (or BSD?) sys/net designer/admin, would like
to do something to help ALS http://www.linuxshowcase.com in particular &
Linux/BSD/FSW/OS in general, and have some free time this weekend, here is an
opportunity for you.

I have a video of John "Maddog" Hall, doing an ~5 min promo for ALS.  He
talks about some of the important issues facing Linux, what will be happening
at ALS, and lets people know why it would be beneficial to attend.  (Also,
ALS is now free for anyone to attend the technical discussions. (They request
everyone pre-register - I think maybe it speeds up the operation, or lowers
costs.))

I just got a DSL line from where a server can be put to host this video, so
people can see it.  Maddog has passed info about the video to the ALS PR &
web groups, so it might appear on the ALS site.  But, since I'm sure they are
very busy preparing for the conference, I want to try to also host it myself,
in case the ALS folks can't get it posted on such short notice.

I'm contributing my effort & bandwidth in getting this video up as a small
contribution from me to the Linux/BSD/FSW/OS community.

I would greatly appreciate some help in getting the server set up - (Linux or
BSD, DSL networking, APACHE server, optionally perhaps some streaming video
server).

I am currently a workstation Linux user, not a sys/net designer/admin.  I
have been too busy lately to spend the time necessary to teach myself what's
necessary to set this up.

I will ultimately get this set up, but I wouldn't be able to get it done by
myself this weekend.  And, this weekend is likely the latest time that it
would be useful to get this server running so as to provide this video to
help promote ALS.  (Perhaps seeing this video would help convince someone to
attend ALS who otherwise would not have.)

I know the bay area has many folks who contribute to helping people at
install fests, and in many other ways also.  I'm sending this email, as this
seems the most efficient way of determining if someone who is able would be
interested in helping with this project.

So, if you would like to contribute to Linux... et all, and enjoy and have
some skill at sys/net design/admin, and have some time this weekend, and
wouldn't mind comming to Oakland to guide/assist in actually setting this up,
I'd be glad to have your guidance/assistance.  I'll even buy you a beverage
of your choice!  :)

If you're interested in helping out on this, please emil me and we can
arrange a time to get together.  Perhaps if you include your phone # we can
discuss the issues involved in setting such a server up and arrange more
quickly a good plan of how to do this.

Please email me directly.

Thank you.  :)