GPL and Linux/BSD InstallFest

Alan DuBoff Alan DuBoff <aland@SoftOrchestra.com>
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:18:38 -0700

Rick Moen wrote:

> Hmm, alas, my kit does not include Debian CDs for PPC (or 68k).  For
> PPC, I have Yellow Dog 2.0 (very recent) and LinuxPPC 2000 "MacWorld"
> (not very recent).  And I don't have time right now to generate and
> burn Debian sets before Sunday.

Yeah, it's got to be Debian...it's for my son!<g>

> Of course, if _you_ have time for that, please bring 'em.  ;->

I've started downloading the 2.2_rev3 powerppc CD #1 right now...and
surprisingly I'm getting about 149kb/s...I usually only get the 1st CD since I
install everything else over the net.

I just might bring them over on Sun, but will most likely install here at home
after I get the ISO images. If I do maybe I could bring an ale for your
nerves, you seem tense in a couple of your other messages.

> The only time I've done a Debian 68k install, it was directly off the
> Net, for the most part.  Worked fine.

I've never installed one,  hopefully it would work ok...I think it's all
pretty standard hardware for a Mac IIsi.

> My sole Debian CD set in the InstallFest kit is the 3-disc set of
> 2.2r3 for x86 binary (including 1-NONUS).

Probably what would get requested most I 'spose. Tell me something, when you
do InstallFests, what distribution do people most commonly request for x86
hardware? Seem for me more times than not with clients, they want to shove Red
Hat down my throat, and even had to get the ok from the CTO at Kerbango when I
worked there to use Debian. One client I was working for recentely wanted me
to install a Red Hat system for them and looked at me dumbfounded when I told
them I only had Debian with me. They actually paid me to go out and purchase a
Red Hat 7.1 box, as they insisted they were getting some useful support with
it rather than download the ISO. Actually, I shouldn't think out loud...I
might get on your nerves...grab a mug of ale quick, it's Friday...

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.