GPL and Linux/BSD InstallFest

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:55:25 -0700

begin Alan DuBoff quotation:

> I just might bring them over on Sun, but will most likely install here
> at home after I get the ISO images. If I do maybe I could bring an ale
> for your nerves, you seem tense in a couple of your other messages.

Ale is good food!

Yeah, what with the local economy, and then friends suddenly and
unexpectedly shooting me in the foot (not you), it's been bad crazy
in my vicinity (not to be confused with BAD crazy, which is always
much to be preferred).  But this too shall pass.

> Tell me something, when you do InstallFests, what distribution do
> people most commonly request for x86 hardware?

Linux-Mandrake, actually.

I try to stress to people, if they don't already know, that they have a
chance to try any of a very wide range of freenixes -- and might
consider trying quite a few of them consecutively, as the only
reasonable way of determining what they like.  If they seem technical,
I point 'em at Debian, Stampede, Slackware, and the *BSDs.  If they
seem to be mildly adventuresome "desktop" users, I describe Libranet,
SuSE, and Linux-Mandrake.

At SVLUG's Installfests, the user most often turns out to have no clue
what any of the distributions are, let alone what he wants.  At LUGOD
and CABAL/BALUG InstallFests, the users usually know what they want.

--
Cheers,      "He was clearly a man of many qualities, even if most of them
Rick Moen    were bad ones."   -- Douglas Adams, describing Zaphod Beeblebrox