Need advocate

Michael S. Fischer michael@dynamine.net
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:24:43 -0700

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 05:10:08PM -0700, ivan wrote:

> As noted, the appropriate course of action is to send it to the BTS with a
> "patch" tag, so that a developer could NMU _if the bug was RC_.  Which it
> is not.

Let's take a look, here:

"During the release freeze (see Uploading to frozen, Section 6.2.2.1),
NMUs which fix serious or higher severity bugs are encouraged and
accepted."

In addition:

"Bug fixes to unstable by non-maintainers are also acceptable..."

> If you don't know when to NMU and what are the appropriate actions to take
> before doing so (or at least where to look this up before making incorrect
> assumptions), I personally don't think you're ready to be an "offical"
> developer.

Please don't talk down to me, Ivan.  I'm not stupid.  I've read the
documentation.

> As I understand it, it's expected that you will be the maintainer for one
> or more packages, or otherwise do substantial work in some other area,
> such as an architecture port, boot floppies, etc.

Fine, but I need to get certified so that I can perform NMUs or
manage packages (I have a couple in mind) if I need to at some point in
the future, else I'll have something ready and need to wait six months
to have it integrated.  Pardon me if that doesn't sound ridiculous.

> If all you want to do is fix a couple bugs (or lots of bugs), send patches
> to the BTS.

What's the point of uploading patches that never get committed?

And what's with the collective attitude about bringing new developers
aboard?  This doesn't sound like the friendly, open, collaborative process
it claims to be.  The attitude is rather elitist.  If you don't want to
make it easy to bring aboard new developers with open arms, just say so
and stop acting otherwise.

I asked you guys for a favour; you're starting to make me like I'm
wasting my time trying to help the project.

--
Michael S. Fischer / michael at dynamine.net / +1 650-533-4684
Lead Hacketeer, Dynamine Consulting, Silicon Valley, CA