Debian on G3 PowerBook

Alan DuBoff maestro@SoftOrchestra.com
Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:36:14 -0700

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> Like Joey said, it's there, it lives, it releases with 2.2.  Join the
> debian-powerpc list.  For the G3 laptops, you'll probably want to use
> yaboot rather than BootX, which means partitioning properly; it's a
> little complicated to install.  Everything else about the install
> should be nice and familiar to anyone who's installed Debian before.
>
> Stop by if you want a hand.

Dan,

I'll surely be around during the conference, so hopefully we'll meet each
other. I'm not sure when my PowerBook is coming in, but if it's possible to
have both Mac OS9 and Debian on the hard disk, that would work ok. How hard is
it to swap the hard disk out on the PowerBook, do you know?

My first choice would be to get an extra hard disk and swap them out.

I did see some kinda dated hardware at work, it was some old PowerComputing
604 PPC boxes. Could I run Debian 2.2 on that box? Once upon a time I was
hired to do a consulting job for IBM, but it was at Oracle. We were going to
port Oracle to the PPC and at the time we had 601 boxes. I don't even think
Apple came out with any 601s. Eventually, Oracle ended up running AIX on them,
that was the only thing they were good for...;-) But it left a bad taste in my
mouth towards the PPC, because the project eventually had the rug pulled and I
was put on another project at Oracle at the time.

I think the hardware geek that designed our radio also designed the PowerMac
motherboard, he's awesome.

I work on a radio with an 823 PPC (no floating point) and runs Linux. I'll
have it at the show with me, and there is one or two more that Monta Vista
has.

Look forward to meeting you.

--

Alan DuBoff