Debian on G3 PowerBook

Daniel Jacobowitz dan-bad@debian.org
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 10:37:11 -0700

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 03:36:14AM -0700, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> I'll surely be around during the conference, so hopefully we'll meet each
> other. I'm not sure when my PowerBook is coming in, but if it's possible to
> have both Mac OS9 and Debian on the hard disk, that would work ok. How hard is
> it to swap the hard disk out on the PowerBook, do you know?

No idea; I've never laid hands on one.  It's certainly possible (and in
fact pretty easy) to get them both on the same disk.

> I did see some kinda dated hardware at work, it was some old PowerComputing
> 604 PPC boxes. Could I run Debian 2.2 on that box? Once upon a time I was
> hired to do a consulting job for IBM, but it was at Oracle. We were going to
> port Oracle to the PPC and at the time we had 601 boxes. I don't even think
> Apple came out with any 601s. Eventually, Oracle ended up running AIX on them,
> that was the only thing they were good for...;-) But it left a bad taste in my
> mouth towards the PPC, because the project eventually had the rug pulled and I
> was put on another project at Oracle at the time.

Yep, we support those PowerComputing boxen.  Apple did actually make
601 based power macs, but most of them are only barely supported by
Linux; I'm not sure if there are any PCI based ones.

Dan