Debian on G3 PowerBook

Daniel Jacobowitz dan-bad@debian.org
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 06:47:44 -0700

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 01:32:26AM -0700, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> I'm about to get an Apple PowerBook which I will be running Mac OS9 on most of
> the time, but I do have a special need to use Linux on the G3 to build my
> cross-compiled gnu tools (the tools run on x86 Linux to produce a PowerPC
> target, but need to be compiled on PPC Linux...I think we use Yellow Dog, I've
> never used that machine).
>
> I've seen that Mac SE in the Debian booth at the shows, and figure that Debian
> must support the G3, but when I look on the web it only lists the 68k version.
>
> I take it that means no Debian for the PPC?
>
> If so I guess that means I'll have to use another version of Linux...drats...

Like Joey said, it's there, it lives, it releases with 2.2.  Join the
debian-powerpc list.  For the G3 laptops, you'll probably want to use
yaboot rather than BootX, which means partitioning properly; it's a
little complicated to install.  Everything else about the install
should be nice and familiar to anyone who's installed Debian before.

Stop by if you want a hand.

Dan