Potato install - package suggestions?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:47:42 -0700

Quoting simonst@WellsFargo.COM (simonst@WellsFargo.COM):

> Rather than upgrade my current hamm system, I'm installing potato from
> scratch, intending to follow "Package Installation Option #3" in the
> http://linuxmafia.com/debian/tips doc.  I'm looking for any last-minute
> suggestions and/or changes to the list of packages:

That list is pretty out of date.  It was _once_ a pretty good list for
slink.  If you use it for potato, be prepared to have some package names
rejected (like kbd-data, I think), and to re-edit and re-submit that
line a few times, until apt-get is happy.

> Since I will be running X, why don't I need at least some of the packages
> mentioned in the hamm upgrade:
>
>        xserver-common  xfree86-common  xf86setup  xprt  xfs   xfstt
> xfonts-scalable  xfonts-base  xfonts-75dpi  xfonts-100dpi

Yep.  I believe I mention those somewhere else in the piece.  You'd
certainl also need at least one window manager, and probably other
things.  But you'll figure that out quickly enough.

--
Cheers,              "By reading this sentence, you agree to be bound by the
Rick Moen             terms of the Internet Protocol, version 4, or, at your