potato info

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 03:51:34 -0700

Rick Moen wrote:
> No idea -- but you might ask on the TLUG mailing list
> (http://tlug.linux.or.jp/).

Debian appears to have solid Japanese support, although it seems that most all
the distros can have this added to it, it states that Debian and and the PJE
project (based around Slackware) have the best support.

Yowza, this is from the debian page.

communicator-base-ja-45 2.1
      Communicator base support for version 4.5 (Japanese support) [non-free
software, please check use and ditribution restrictions]
communicator-base-ja-451 1.1
      Communicator base support for version 4.51 (Japanese support) [non-free
software, please check use and ditribution restrictions]
communicator-base-ja-46 1.0
      Communicator base support for version 4.6 (Japanese support) [non-free
software, please check use and ditribution restrictions]

Whats really nice is that I can install the english version and upgrade the
packages, that way I can get the partitioning correct (the one piece that
always scares me in Japanese...I can read a bit of Japanese, but usually get
my wife to translate the install for partitioning and selecting devices,
etc...which is a pain, since my wife is not technical by any means). I had a
bad experience having a friend help me that worked for Cannon, and the
translation between me and him didn't happen well enough and it consolidated 3
boot partitions into one large one for it's own use...

Thanks for that link, that answers just about all my questions about running
Debian with Japanese support.

--

Alan DuBoff - Conductor
Software Orchestration, Inc.