apt-get front end

Alan DuBoff maestro@SoftOrchestra.com
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 00:13:03 -0700

Rick Moen wrote:

> In saying it was slick, I didn't especially intend to recommend it for
> your use, but rather for your examination (given your expressed
> interests as a developer).  Personally, I have found no better
> substitute for just grepping and browsing through /var/state/apt/lists,
> and using apt-get or dpkg.  But, obviously, preferences differ.

I do similar, I usually just go to the unstable-all packages and search in my
browser, then use apt-get on the name.

However, I would prefer a GUI, and I think a lot of other people would like
one also. When gnome-apt works just a bit better it will suite most people's
needs.

Not to say that the typical developer won't continue to use apt-get and dpkg,
however, with an easier install, and better package management, Debian will be
more usable by far more people.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.