Debian Attitudes

Alan DuBoff maestro@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu, 08 Jul 1999 09:48:12 -0700

David Bristel wrote:

> How hard is it to run dselect?  Sure, it's a bit clunky, but it's not THAT bad.
> While I would like to see Debian become more user friendly(a console version of
> something like gnome-apt), anyone who's ever run Solaris, or IRIX would have NO
> problem with Debian.  The fact that most people in the world are too stupid to
> understand, "Press any key to continue" can't be blamed on the distribution.

It's not hard to run it, but it can be hard to get out of it cleanly.

I don't consider myself to be ignorant, and I ended up with a backleveled
version of E on my system after dselect got done.

Yes, I've used Solaris, I have it running on this machine (x86, although I
haven't boot it much since it was installed, I *HAVE* used Solaris).

I also had FreeBSD installed on this machine, the 3.2 install is not bad.

I could bore all of you with my evaluations of these OSs, but let's just say
that the action is happening around Linux.

Programs like gnome-apt will make it easier for people to install software,
and I'm going to be doing my part to help.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.