installs and meetings (was Re: Debian Attitudes)

Chris Waters xtifr@dsp.net
08 Jul 1999 00:07:51 -0700

Christoph Lameter <christoph@lameter.com> writes:

> Problem is that developers will not spend time one a procedure one does
> once or twice a year.

Once or twice a year?  What do you do to your system that you have to
install that often?  I installed once, three years ago, and that's
pretty much been it.  Constant upgrades, but those are easy (for some
reason).  :-)

> If the philosophy of the product demands frequent reinstalls (like
> RH) then the installation procedure will naturally be more polished.

Unfortunate, in a way, but very true.

> I am new to the valley. when and where do Linux people meet in real
> life and not just online?

A good place to start looking is http://www.svlug.org.  There's also
balug, but "there is no CABAL" (Coalition of All Bay Area LUGs).
You'll find pointers on the svlug page.

You are in the South Bay, right?  Maybe we should have a South Bay
Debian get-together to welcome you and Shaleh (and Joeyh, though he
didn't come from very far away).