Linuxworld: need volunteers?

Joey Hess joey@kitenet.net
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:40:28 -0800

Chris Waters wrote:
> I have some free time now if a volunteer is needed.  Not sure what my
> schedule will be like come showtime, but it's open now, and I'll
> certainly do my best to ensure that it's open for the show.  To quote
> Dogbert:  "I'm not unemployed, I'm a consultant."  :-)

Of course, if all this comes together, we will need volenteers for all 3
days of the show. Probably at least 2 should be there at all times. (Except
during Linus's speech, when I'm sure the show floor will be deserted. ;-)

Before the show, there's a lot of preparation and organization you could
help with if you have the time. Here are some things I've been kicking
around as I prepare to organize this thing:

* volenteers:
  - need to be able to schedule people to man the booth.
  - need to make sure booth volenteers can get to the convention - might
    need to set up carpools.
* equipment:
  - we need at least 2 systems running debian at the booth,
    preferably more.
    - It's possible VA will loan us some, otherwise we will have to bring our
      own. Someone needs to contact VA.
    - These should be set up pre-showtime and networked all together,
      with one as gateway to the show network.
    - It'd be nice to have some safe interfaces on some of them that can be
      used by show attendees without them cracking the box, so they can, eg,
      browse the debian web page, or even chat on irc #debian with developers
      and users.
    - It might be nice, if we have the machines, to install some "disposable"
      debian systems that are *not* networked, and that we have a normal
      wmaker/gnome/whatever desktop up on so people can play with debian. They
      could even play with dselect. We would trash these installs after the
      show.
  - It'd be nice to have a digital camera taking stills/video of the show.
  - We probably need at least access to a good printer (need not be at show),
    for printing up various materials.
  - We need a ethernet hub.
* advertisement type material:
  - We need at least a big banner that says "Debian" on it
  - It'd be nice to have some professional looking posters hyping debian as
    well.
  - It'd be nice to have some flyers we could give out to people about debian.
* other:
  - I think we need some folding chairs.
  - We need to figure out how to fit all the equipment in our booth. We may
    be limited to 1 meter of booth space. That'd probably limit us to a
    maximum of 3 computers.
* T-Shirts:
  - I'm sure many of you have seen my debian T-Shirt that I wear to lots of
    LUG meetings. I have wanted for some time to print up a run of those,
    enough to sell at linuxworld and to sell to debian people elsewhere by
    mail order. This is a big project I have no experience in, though.
* CD's

> On the issue of CDs for the show -- maybe we can persuade one of the
> attending CD vendors to make us a bunch of CDs (or even a non-attending
> vendor if needs must).

I'm hoping that linuxcentral will come through with cd's (and hopefully a
booth too). We need _lots_ of CD's.

--
see shy jo