linuxworld update

alan@webwidgets.net alan@webwidgets.net
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:00:31 -0800 (PST)

Do you think it would be better to just show dpkg, or focus on apt? I
find that in most instances when I want to upgrade or add packages, I
just fire off apt-get and let 'er rip. For someone concerned about admin
costs/complexity (ie your avg PHB), I would think the ability to do
this would be a big plus.

I like your idea of installing and setting up X; I constantly read
about what a bear it is, and I've always found it pretty painless with
Debian (with a notable exception of the earlier Slink packages ;).
Should be a fairly effective demonstration of the ease with which
Debian can be got up and running.

As far as package creation, I'll have to leave that to others; I'm not
a developer, and except for a quick look when I first moved over from
Slackware (coupla years ago), I've not looked at how it's done.

So I guess my biggest question would be what condition I should bring
the sparc down in; fully config'd for some purpose and ready to go,
base install only that we can then tweak...?

You've got some good ideas; we probably should try hard to do at least
some of them.

Alan