BALUG: Tu 2014-11-18: Michael Paoli on Rockbox @ Henry's Hunan - 110 Natoma St.

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 14 12:07:38 PST 2014

BALUG: Tu 2014-11-18: Michael Paoli on Rockbox @ Henry's Hunan - 110
Natoma St.

------------------------------

items, details further below:
BALUG meeting 2014-11-18: Michael Paoli on Rockbox @ Henry's Hunan -
110 Natoma St.
giveaways (CDs/DVDs, ...)
Got venue? (projector/screen ...)
Last meeting this year, & 2015 meeting dates
volunteering to help BALUG (and add to your experience & resume!)
Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/BALUG_org

------------------------------

For our 2014-11-18 BALUG meeting:

We have a (mini-)presentation/demo from Michael Paoli on Rockbox[1][2].
Rockbox is free Open Source replacement firmware and software for many
digital audio players.  Rockbox offers many enhanced and additional
capabilities not available on the firmware/software provided by these
digital audio players.  Michael will be providing demonstrations on a
SanDisk Sansa Fuze[3] v2.  A partial listing of just some of what
Rockbox additionaly makes available on this device:
   audio channel configuration, many additional modes/settings:
     Karaoke, Stereo Width, Crossfeed
     EQ - 10 band, peak and high and low shelf filters, save/load presets
     dithering, timestretch, compressor
   sleep timer, alarmclock
   recording - 9 frequency settings, 4 file formats, file splitting by
     size/time, sound activation, gain & monitor volumes
   124 themes, 98 fonts
   audio/recording metering
   36 Games: frozen-bubble, chess, Mastermind, Doom, Go, maze, Pong,
     sliding puzzle, solitaire, sudoku, ...
   21 apps: calculator, calendar, clock, md5sum, metronome, pitch
     detector, resistor, paint, stopwatch ...
   demos: oscilloscope, life, vu_meter
   text viewer, editor, (loadable UTF-8) virtual keyboard, Morse code
     input mode
   voice - talking audio menus
   music database - many additional views and can be customized
   dual boot, limit USB access, connect to USB & continue playing

Note also that this is our last meeting this year (see also further
below).

1. http://www.rockbox.org/
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockbox
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansa_Fuze

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP to:

                         rsvp at balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help
BALUG and our venue plan for the meeting and accommodations, so please
let us know.

    6:30pm Tuesday, November 18th, 2014 2014-11-18
    Henry's Hunan Restaurant
    110 Natoma St. (between 2nd & New Montgomery)
    San Francisco, CA 94105-3704
    1-415-546-4999
    http://www.henryshunanrestaurant.com/
    Easy Transit/Parking Access: short walk from BART, MUNI, parking
       Trip planning:  http://www.511.org/

Delicious Hunan cuisine and reasonably priced.

Meeting Details...

Cost/Dining:
     The meetings are always free, but dinner is not (unless you are our
     guest speaker, in which case we also treat you to dinner).  For
     Henry's Hunan Restaurant, if folks are agreeable, we'll share and
     dine "family" style, and split up the costs, and typical cost per
     person including tax and tip (but not including beverages beyond
     complementary tea) would be in the $13.00 to $17.50 range, and
     commonly around $15.00 to $16.50.  Cash may be preferred to ease
     splitting up the check.  One can also specifically order the
     dish(es) one needs/prefers (e.g. for dietary considerations) - and
     we also commonly order some dish(es) that may meet various dietary
     considerations) (e.g. vegetarian, non-pork, ...).  Please arrive by
     7:00 P.M., we expect to order entrees at that time, and may order
     appetizer(s) and/or soup(s) anytime after 6:30 P.M.

------------------------------

We typically have various giveaway items at BALUG meetings.  We'll
likely have at least the below plus additional items.

CDs/DVDs/ISOs, etc. - have a peek here:
http://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc
We may also be able to "burn" images per request or copy to USB flash,
etc.  Donations of blank or +-RW media, USB flash, or funding thereof,
also appreciated.  See the above URL for details (and the inventory
(qty.) of what we specifically have "burned" and available on-hand does
also frequently change).

------------------------------

Last meeting this year, & 2015 meeting dates

2014-11-18 is our last meeting for 2014 (we'll skip December, as we
typically do).  For 2015, please note our meeting dates (almost always
3rd Tuesday):
2014-11-18 2014-12-16 2015-01-20 2015-02-17 2015-03-17 2015-04-21
2015-05-19 2015-06-16 2015-07-21 2015-08-18 2015-09-15 2015-10-20
2015-11-17 ...
Be sure to check http://www.balug.org/ and/or watch our announcements
for updates, location and details, etc.

------------------------------

Got venue?

We can use your help on leads (and follow-up) for venue!  Certainly feel
free to discus on our "talk[1]" list.  See also the earlier item[2] on
our admin list that gives fair overview of what we're hopefully looking
to find as for venue.  We could certainly use a venue that works well
for speakers/presenters (e.g. projector & screen), can handle fair sized
crowds (to 30 or more, ideally to over 100 as we sometimes have), is
reasonably economical and consistent across varying attendance sizes
(e.g. same location or very close in part of same facility), and where
dinner/food/beverages are either available at such a presentation
facility, or very close by.  IF YOU HAVE LEADS ON SPECIFIC VENUE(s) BE
SURE TO DROP US A NOTE!: balug-contact at balug.org - and can of course
also mention/discuss it on our "talk[1]" list.  And much thanks for
leads/contacts, useful ideas, follow-up on that, etc. that will get us
to our future venue(s)!

Henry's Hunan Restaurant - 110 Natoma St. can handle us well in most
regards for dining and up to fair size crowd, but we have no
screen/projector nor PA capabilities there, so for talks/presentations,
only the less formal, smaller, and without projected "slides" would
work there.  (But in the meantime, the food there is really yummy!)

We also expect to announce any and all venue changes reasonably well in
advance (week(s) to month or more), so folks have reasonable time to
prepare/adjust and aren't (too) "surprised" and so folks don't have last
minute changes sprung on them.

2.
http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-admin-balug.org/2014-July/001504.html

------------------------------

volunteering to help BALUG (and add to your resume/experience)

Not only can you do useful and cool stuff volunteering to help BALUG,
but it can also be a way to gain useful and practical experience, and
could also be something to add to or round out one's resume.

There a quite a variety of opportunities to help BALUG.  Come talk to us
at a meeting and/or drop us a note at:
balug-contact at balug.org
These opportunities may include, among other possibilities:
o assist on speaker coordination/procurement, etc.
o assist on publicity
o chief/assistant cat herder
o Linux Systems Administration (e.g. do/assist/learn, with/under some
     quite experienced and skilled Linux systems administrators).
o webmaster, assistant webmaster, designer, graphic artist
o archivist/history/retrieval/etc.
o and other various/miscellaneous tasks BALUG "ought" to be doing or
     would be good to do (feel free to suggest ideas!)

Twitter - you can also follow BALUG on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/BALUG_org

Feedback on our publicity/announcements (e.g. contacts or lists where we
should get our information out that we're not presently reaching, or
things we should do differently): publicity-feedback at balug.org