Avoid or accommodate [Was: Here we go: devuan]

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Tue Dec 2 12:12:17 PST 2014

[posted to list despite Reply-To; apologies in advance if not wanted]

On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 11:13:11 -0800,
GoOSSBears <acohen36 at linuxwaves.com> wrote:

A> Thanks, Ian Z, for bringing up the discussion subject of systemd and
A> for Tony G's and others' elaborations.  I myself posted a
A> systemd-related thread to the BALUG-Talk mailing-list exactly three
A> months ago today[1] and now see two overall approaches to the rise
A> and prevalence of systemd; Avoiding systemd and Accommodating
A> systemd. IMHO, each of these approaches involves some sort of a
A> learning curve for those of us who have to deal with systemd in some
A> way or another.

For me, avoiding is the natural choice because I got quite good at it
after years of avoiding Gnome, KDE and all their spawn.  I already
maintain 10-20 major private source packages with all their Gnome hooks
removed.  Aside from my interest in Devuan, I am also learning Gentoo
just in case.

I should also clarify that for me, desktop is the major battleground
(contrary to the explicit server orientation of Devuan).  On servers, I
can imagine myself adopting *BSD rather easily.  But on desktop Linux
has an edge in hardware support and the plumbing close to hardware (ALSA
being the major case in point).