New non-commercial, community colo open in San Francisco

Ian ian at linefeed.org
Wed Feb 14 13:51:36 PST 2007

Hello Bay Area Debian folks,

We are writing because we think that BAD sysadmins would be interested in a
new non-commercial, community network with a colocation facility in downtown
San Francisco.

If you operate a server for an open source project, a non-profit
organization or non-commercial personal use, you qualify to host your server
at the San Francisco Community Colocation Project's colo at 6th & Brannan in
downtown San Francisco.

Your share of the collectively-purchased space & bandwidth starts around
$45/1U/month.

We have run a non-profit colo facility in the Bay Area for 5 years -- and
now we are opening the doors to our newest colo in SF. We are part of a
network that includes other community colos in Seattle, Chicago, Toronto and
Washington DC.

We are also committed to the protection of online free speech. In 2003, for
example, we received a DMCA take-down order from Diebold regarding documents
that had been posted to our servers that shed an embarrassing light on
Diebold's eletronic voting machines. The Electronic Frontier Foundation
(EFF) took up the case and Diebold backed down. A corporate colo probably
would have forced the client to comply with Diebold's lawyers.

If any of this sounds good to you, please get in touch!

1) Email us -> inquire at sfccp.net
2) Call us -> (415) 887-7679
3) Check out our website -> http://www.sfccp.net/

For more information on the Diebold case, see
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/27/050218

Thanks for your time,

Ian McLeod
San Francisco Community Colocation Project
www.sfccp.net