unison: Can the Sarge version be used with Sid (Kanotix)?

Charles Fry bad@frogcircus.org
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:14:20 -0400

> "hold back" a package so that it can interoperate
> with the same version of the package on machines
> running Sarge, while still letting all the
> other packages still get updates?

You can do exactly that with apt preferences. Two good resources are the
man page (man apt_preferences), and:

   http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

My personal preference in similar situations is to install the unstable
version on the sarge box (as explained on the Apt-Pinning site above),
but you could just as well drop down to the stable version from your sid
box.

You can use my sample configuration file for the former:

  http://unix.frogcircus.org/rc/apt-preferences

The latter can be accomplished by following the first perl example in
the man page.

Hope this helps. :-)

Charles

--