(forw) Re: routing on Debian

'Rick Moen' rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:19:20 -0700

I get mail....

----- Forwarded message from 'Rick Moen' <rick@linuxmafia.com> -----

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:18:15 -0700
From: 'Rick Moen' <rick@linuxmafia.com>
To: Tony Hartzell <hartzellt@charter.net>
Subject: Re: routing on Debian

Quoting Tony Hartzell (hartzellt@charter.net):

> Rick,
>    I met you at the svlug meeting with Donald Becker at Great America.
> You said that you used Debian on your system. I've just installed the
> 'Sarge' release on one of my systems, and I really like it.
>    What I'm trying to do is use this system to connect to my cable modem
> on one NIC (and eventually hosting a web site) and route my gigabit
> network for the rest of my PCs on the other. My problem is, I only know
> about 'gated' and 'routed', which I can't find with 'apt-cache search'.
> Does Debian use some other routing package?
>    Also is there a Debian package repository similar to rpmfind.net?

Hi, Tony.  I have received both copies of your e-mail.  I'm just now
back from a week out of the country.

1.  Your questions are best asked on a Linux user group mailing list or
a Linux newsgroup.  SVLUG operates a suitable mailing list, as one such
option:  http://lists.svlug.org/lists/listinfo/svlug

I might also point out the Bay Area Debian group's mailing list:

There are many reasons why you should post such queries to a public
Linux forum instead of privately to some individual Linux user you've
encountered.  One of those reasons is now probably becoming obvious to
you:  Individuals sometimes cannot be reached at all, while you are
highly likely to reach lots of people when you post to an appropriate
public forum.

Another reason is that, when you post publicly, _lots_ of people will
benefit from the asking and the answering, including people finding
those things later via search engines.  By contrast, your getting free
of charge private help benefits only you.

2.  I'm pretty sure the package you're looking for is GNU Quagga:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/quagga

Notice that I used the CGI search at packages.debian.org to find that.
You might find it handy.

3.  Debian doesn't in general need third-party package repositories, but
there are some, e.g., for backporting of new software to the "stable"
branch, and for software that cannot be included in Debian proper on
account of legal encumbrances (e.g., patents).  See:

http://apt-get.org/
http://backports.org/

----- End forwarded message -----