ANNOUNCEMENT: There will be a BAD meeting at Jupiter in Berkeley at 7 pm on Wed 11 May 2005

Tony Godshall Tony Godshall <togo@of.net>
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:21:23 -0700

Quote...

> Jupiter - Berkeley
>
> Jupiter is the creation of John Martin, founder of the
> venerable Triple Rock Brewery in North Berkeley as well as
> the operator of The Bear's Lair Pub, on the UC Berkeley
> Campus.  Jupiter pours, on draft, its own brews plus up to
> 30 of the region's best brews from other local brewpubs and
> small breweries.
>
> Jupiter is housed in a 1890s building that was once a livery
> stable. The design of the Jupiter was inspired by the oldest
> bar in Berlin. "I call it Beer Gothic", says John.
> Bronze-colored pressed tin in a Gothic design panel the
> walls, large Gothic church lights hang from the ceiling, and
> pews from the St. John's Presbyterian Church in Berkeley
> (now the Julia Morgan Theater) line the walls. The bar
> itself is topped with copper, and the beer taps glow from
> the front of a huge old-style wooden ice box. Large round
> wood tables provide room for big groups.

It's a mere block from BART (if that) on the mauka (West) side
of Shattuck between Center and Allston.   2181 Shattuck Av
for those who need specifics.  Not as handy for drivers as
Oakland, perhaps, but a nice place and way handy to transit.

I very much liked the Hefe I had there this week, but a real
Deutschlander will probably point out that it's not a real Hefe.
;-)  Hi, Erich!  You coming?

The various buslines that converge on Berkeley, such as the 51 and
40 and Transbay F go right past it.  BART stop is Downtown Berkeley
on the Richmond line.

Start at 7pm ... open until past one. Depending on the
weather, the outdoor beer garden might be the venue of choice.
If you want to come early and start without me, feel free!

More, plus map, directions, menus, etc., available at ...

  http://www.jupiterbeer.com/berkeley/index.html

I am trying to follow the SHOTGUN RULES a bit better this
time...

  http://bad.debian.net/shotgun_rules.txt

-- Tony Godshall