easy admin mail server recommendation requested

Erich Schubert erich@debian.org
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:09:25 -0700

Hi,

> > Mailinglists are a bigger issue... I'm missing ezmlm, which requires
> > qmail. In my opinion, mailman is crap. I've heard good things about
>
> Would you elaborate on "mailman is crap"?

I already did so in some other mail.
- for most things you need the webinterface
- usability is very low (way to many options noone uses)
- you cannot customize text templates except by defining new languages
- a list can only allow additional languages, the "site default" is
  always available
- its data structures (python serializations) are not fault tolerant
  (and especially not editable)
- it sends out passwords in clear text, but doesn't tell the user that
  he really wants a low security password (I wouldn't be surprised if
  you can login into a couple users mailboxes if you get hold of the
  subscriber and password list!)
- localization in pipermail is really bad ("Zweite(r) Quartal 2005")
- forces you to use its own user database
- list creation requires special "master" password
- I never got it working with vhosts perfectly, just "somehow" with
  lots of rewriting in postfix

Almost all of this was satisfied by ezmlm, too bad it only works with
qmail...

Greetings,
Erich