Seeking good web sites for Debian tools

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:30:56 -0700

--dgjlcl3Tl+kb3YDk

on Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 09:18:36AM -0700, C Poda (clp301@poda.net) wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Thanks to kmself for posting the link to your LInux distro guide.  It had=
 =20
> a few web links that I did not find when searching Google earlier this =
=20
> year for info on XWin and on disk partitioning - thanks very much for =20
> xwinman.org & the *nix partition article on iwethey.org.  I also found a =
=20
> solution to a Vim color problem at dotfiles.com by following a link from =
=20
> one of yours.

Thanks for appreciating ;-)
=20
> I've used Linux for several years, adopted Debian about 2 years ago, and =
=20
> have been using Kanotix for 6 months.  Taking the plunge from Debian =20
> stable to unstable was a risk that I wish I had taken earlier - so far =
=20
> it's offered many rewards, little downside.

I picked up Debian in 1999, and it was an epiphany.  I'd used RH from
4.2 onwards until then, and still encounter it regularly.  No plans to
move back.
=20
> Now I'm adding to my toolbox & would like to find some good resources to =
=20
> help me decide which s/w to install & learn, eg:
>=20
> Version control: subversion vs CVS?

Hell, I'm still known to use RCS.  Been meaning to do something better,
sort of waiting for things to shake out.
=20
> Domain name server: bind v9 vs djbdns?

Me:  bind9 chrooted.  djbware's a great proof-of-concept, but hell to
maintain.
=20
> Firewall: Linux netfilter-iptables vs openBSD packet filter?

I ran an OpenBSD box, and noted my general observations in the post
below.  It's nice, tight, secure system.  It was too much span to deal
with it and Debian on the same network.  I feel Debian's security
profile is acceptable, and can be tightened considerably if desired.

=20
> Sys admin: Is cfengine worth the effort to learn & use?

I don't use it, probably should manage /etc somehow.
=20
> How to handle fax at home w/ Linux?

My experiences with hylafax were that it's unghodly complex.  I use efax
currently.  This is an area in which improved user-friendliness would be
a massive gain.
=20
=20
> I've read about these choices from web sites found by Google, and wonder =
=20
> if I'm missing some better data sources because of my poor searching or =
=20
> Google's poor indexing of the available web pages.

Google does a pretty good job.  It's occasionally illuminating to try
other search engines (in part to remember that they exist).  I tend to
folllow a convergence research model:  when my searches start converging
on the same docs, I think I've found at least the generally acknowledged
state.

I'd also recommend finding people you respect and seeing what they've
got up.  My own homepage site, Rick Moen's Knowledgebase, TWikIWeThey,
and Christopher Browne's pages are strongly recommended.  And Ye Olde
Standard:  The Linux Documentation Project.

Note too:  TWikIWeThey is a Wiki.  It's a collaboratively edited site,
which means you, yes, YOU, can add (and edit) content.  Hey, even Robert
Enderle's a registered user.

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs
    http://linuxdatabases.info/info/
    http://linuxmafia.com/kb/