Seeking good web sites for Debian tools

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:40:07 -0700

begin  Rick Moen  quotation:
> Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick@zork.net):
> > 	I recommend looking at a more modern batch of version control
> > systems:  darcs, monotone, and if you have the stomach for it: arch.
> >
> > 	I can't wait for bazaar-ng.org to go release so that I can
> > finally answer this one with a definitive single project, but
> > MBP's glorious amalgam is still dilligently being worked on.
>
> Looking at it now, along with baz.

	baz:arch::subversion:cvs

	It's going to fix some of the UI problems with arch, but it'll
still have the odor of tla.  bzr (bazaar-ng.org) is beginning with a
UI much more like darcs (which is still a dream to work with).  baz is
just tla++.

	bzr is like darcs in that every checkout is also a repository.
This doesn't seem like such a win to most folks beyond disconnected
use, but it has a very useful conceptual side-effect:  EVERY CHECKOUT
IS ALSO A BRANCH.  This means that you no longer need to work out
funky tag commands to branch: you just check it out into a new
location and use the standard push/pull commands to feed changesets
back and forth as needed.

	This is much easier to get a mental handle on for folks who
are used to the "backup copy" method of project management.  It maps
much more sensibly onto normal filesystem operations that we use every
day.

--
"Some of us figured out in the 1950s                     Nick Moffitt
that blacklists were a bad idea.                        nick@zork.net