ISP's

Tony Godshall Tony Godshall <togo@of.net>
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:32:54 -0700

According to Oliver Kurth,
> On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 10:51, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > Do people have any recommendations (either for or against) internet
> > providers available in the Bay Area (I'm in SF)?
> >
> > I'm probably going to go with a cheap dial-up, but I'm also
> > considering SBC/Yahoo DSL.  Does the latter work with Linux?
> >
> > I'm using earthlink now, but am fed up with their poor service.
>
> You can look at http://www.dslreports.com/, there are lots of reports.
>
> I use sonic.net, they are competent, not too expensive and linux
> friendly. From the DSL modem I get plain ethernet (so no pppoe), and I
> have 4 static IP addresses. The carrier is SBC. My contract with them is
> about a month old, so I do not have any long term experiences yet.

I chose speakeasy.net based on dslreports' recommendations
for carriers in my neighborhood.  I was totally satisfied
and they didn't give me trouble about using Linux like SBC
did.  Plus no billing problems like I had with SBC.  The
only reason I dropped speakeasy was that I got better value
from my local municipal (alamedanet.net, 3Mbps downlink +
static IP for $42/mo if you also get cable TV)