Forgotten Password

Mike Markley mike@markley.org
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:27:39 -0700

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 06:23:28PM -0700, Stephen Schroder <sschrode@pacbell.net> wrote:
> After Boot: I typed Linux init=/bin/bash, since I didn't know what to
> substitute for Linux.  Initialization only proceed part of the way.  I then
> typed cd /, followed by cd edit, followed by dir, followed by edit passwd.
> I received a two line message, which I unfortunately did not write down, but
> it basically said that editing psswd was not allowed.  I tried the same
> thing with psswd-.  The message was different: it used the word
> 'authentication' on both lines, but I was again not allowed to edit.

Root is mounted read-only by default. Normally the init process remounts
it read-write, but init=/bin/bash is short-circuiting that.

After booting with init=/bin/bash, run "mount -o rw,remount /". That
should get you back in read-write. You can also run "mount /usr", or
/var, or /home, or any other partitions containing tools you need.

--
Mike Markley <mike@markley.org>

If entropy is increasing, where is it coming from?