Forgotten Password

Stephen Schroder sschrode@pacbell.net
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:23:28 -0700

I apologize if this looks different, and if the Subject line is different.
I had to send this using Outlook Express from Windows.

After Boot: I typed Linux init=/bin/bash, since I didn't know what to
substitute for Linux.  Initialization only proceed part of the way.  I then
typed cd /, followed by cd edit, followed by dir, followed by edit passwd.
I received a two line message, which I unfortunately did not write down, but
it basically said that editing psswd was not allowed.  I tried the same
thing with psswd-.  The message was different: it used the word
'authentication' on both lines, but I was again not allowed to edit.

I then pressed Ctrl-Alt-Delete and when the menu came up I booted the normal
way.  It seemed to boot normally, and Gnome login screen appeared, which is
also normal.  But when I entered my user ID and password another box
appeared which told me authentication failed.  I pressed Ctrl-Alt-F1 and was
taken to the F1 virtual terminal, but when I tried to login I was told Login
incorrect.