root password

Stephen Schroder sschrode@pacbell.net
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:59:43 -0700

I use LILO as a boot loader.  I don't seem to append anything, since I
dual boot with Windows, and my only choices seem to be Linux or Windows.
  At the bottom of the boot loader screen it reads Boot:, but unless I'm
missing something it's only purpose seems to be to initiate booting
whatever is highlighted when I press Enter.

If I boot into a virtual terminal I'm asked for the login.  If I then
type 'init=/bin/bash' or 'init=/bin/sh' it asks for the password.  If i
then type psswd it waits a while then tells me 'Login incorrect'. I
suspect that is because it has already initialized the boot process, and
it is way too late to run init.

My password is long, but it was easy to remember until now.  I think I
have tried every reasonable alteration, so I have to consider the
possibility that I am using the wrong Login word to access root,
especially since no matter what I enter for a password it returns 'Login
incorrect'.  I thought I remembered that it was the same as the Login
word I ordinarily use to access the virtual terminal.

I can't boot from the Linux floppy disc.  For some reason, maybe because
I am dual booting with Windows, or because when I was setting up my
system I did not include the floppy drive as an option for booting (if I
was even given that option) the floppy drive does not function, even if
I choose Windows.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to address all the
suggestions that have been made.  I appreciate all the suggestions.
Maybe I'm still doing something wrong.

Steve
--
Nothing is going to work because you want it to work, just to please
you.  You have to make the damn thing work.  -Thomas A. Edison