root password

tek tek@pervasivenetwerks.com
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:36:35 -0700

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:48:32 -0700, Stephen Schroder wrote
> I have forgotten my root password, since it has been months since I
> needed to access root.  Is there a way for me to retrieve the
> password or bypass it, or define a new password.  Any help would
> help would be appreciated.

take the system offline by removing its ethernet connection and reboot the
system with a knoppix cd in it. remount the HD in read/write mode and edit
the /etc/passwd file. in it you will see the entry for root will read
something like
root:x:0:0:root,,,:/root:/bin/bash

remove the x from between the two :: an save the file. reboot the system and
log in as root, change the password as root now has no password. put system
back online after you have changed the root password to something secure