shell script equivalent to cflow ?

Michael Neuffer neuffer@neuffer.info
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:16:53 +0100

Quoting Tim Freeman (tim@fungible.com):
> >I believe that I have once seen some piece of software that
> >did for shell scripts pretty much the same what cflow does for C
> >code. Unfortunately I can't remember any details about it anymore
> >and thus can't find it.
>
> ocamldot does what you want for objective caml.
>
> The hard part is drawing the pretty diagram after you've figured out
> the dependencies.  Fortunately, this is already implemented.  I think
> it's called dotty or some such.  It's one of the suggested packages
> for ocamldot.
>
> So all you need is a perl script that searches all of your shell
> scripts for mentions of the names of other shell scripts, print a file
> in the same format as the output from ocamldot, and you're all set.

Hmmmm....  I guess this program runs in ocaml ?

I'll have problems to get that approved at my clients site.

> If the scripts have names like "the" and "a" then you'll get lots of
> false positive dependencies.  If the scripts aren't confined to a
> known set of directories, then you'll get a bunch of false negative
> dependencies.  If these problems are ignorable in practice, then it
> seems like short work.

The scripts are not confined to a known set of directorys, they are
only confined to a pair of servers and are running under 3 different
UIDs....

Cheers
   Mike

Michael Neuffer                            Phone:     +49 6131 540117
Zum Schiersteiner Grund 2                  Fax:       +49 6131 477288
55127 Mainz                                Mobile:    +49 171 1406664
Germany                                    Mail: neuffer@neuffer.info