Display problem

Blue Boar BlueBoar@thievco.com
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:32:40 -0700

Les Kopari wrote:

> After bootup, the login screen keeps repeating it's
> prompt after entering valid login info.  Each time,
> the Gnome 1.4 splash comes up, the 21" crt goes black,
> clicks and I'm at the login again.  The splash seems
> to show 4 or 5 icons being highlighted...then nothing.

Yes, I've seen it.  X is crashing.  The init process will try to restart it
several times.  It will typically give you some useful error messages...
which you can't see while it's doing the flashing, check the logs.  Log in
(if you can) and set the runlevel to a non-X setting, and try using startx
to manually troubleshoot (you'll be able to see the messages then.)

					BB