Display problem

Les Kopari les_kopari@yahoo.com
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:42:32 -0700 (PDT)

Anyone recognize this symptom?

After bootup, the login screen keeps repeating it's
prompt after entering valid login info.  Each time,
the Gnome 1.4 splash comes up, the 21" crt goes black,
clicks and I'm at the login again.  The splash seems
to show 4 or 5 icons being highlighted...then nothing.

After 6 - 8 tries, it exits to a shell login, whining
about the display driver:

 "Failed to start the display server several times in
a short time period; disabling display :0"

but I haven't found anything weird in the inits
anywhere...maybe I'm not seeing it.

By the way, this also occurs with the other session

Feeling pretty stupid, here, that's for sure.

Let's see if I've followed the question guidelines
well enough to elicit an answer of some sort.