Display problem

Paul Mackinney paul@mackinney.net
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:25:18 -0700

Vineet Kumar declaimed:
> > One other note: we've recommended startx, it will require a settings
> > file such as:
> >
> > --.xsession--
> > #!/bin/sh
> > gnome-client
>
> no, not necessarily.  The default debian Xsession will run
> x-session-manager if it exists.  gnome-session should provide this via
> the alternatives system.  If debian's startx didn't work without first
> setting up a user's .xsession, I'd consider it badly broken.

This is one of those things that simultaneously exposes Debian's
strength and its ability to frustrate. I hadn't really integreated the
update-alternatives into my consciousness as an admin, so when I dumped
xdm and Gnome, I think startx was launching twm or something.  I spent a
lot of time thrashing around trying to figure out the window manager was
being specified and getting different advice from the X docs and the
blackbox list.

I gather that the Debian solution would have been to use update-alternatives
to point the x-window-manager symlink to blackbox.

PM
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net