Samba How-To

Stephen Schroder sschrode@pacbell.net
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:48:22 -0800

begin   Tim Freeman   quotation:

> This reference says how to set up a printer with Samba and CUPS:
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing/sharing_with_windows.html
> When I used it, this document seemed to be accurate about Samba, but
> unfortunately CUPS never worked reliably for me, so this was a dead
> end. If you already have CUPS working then IMO it's good to use. When
> I retreated to lpr, I think I used this as my reference:
> file:///usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/using_samba/ch07_01.html#s1
> which is a copy of the OReilly "Using Samba" book and comes with the
> samba-doc package. If I wanted to do something else with Samba, I'd
> start with the latter URL above and find the relevant chapter of the
> "Using Samba" book.

Thanks for replying.  You must be using a newer version of samba, like
3.0.1, because I don't have those files.  As you know I'm also using lpr
with apsfilter.  I've learned that the O'Reilly  book  canbe found
through the documentation link at http://www.samba.org. I obtained samba
via apt-get install samba, and the version is 2.2.3a-12.3.  I  did find
a HOWTO, in addition to man smb.conf, at
/usr/share/doc/samba-common/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf.  It was a gzip
file that needed to be decompressed.  Now all I have to do is make the
damn thing work. ;-)

Steve
--

Nothing is going to work because you want it to work, just to please you.  You have to make the damn thing work.  -Thomas A. Edison